Water Resources Design Engineer
Job #VA2736 for Chantilly, VA
The successful applicant will manage and perform the engineering duties required for stormwater design projects. The position includes “doing” as well as “managing”, and most of our design projects support municipal clients throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia. Additionally, the successful applicant will assist in mentoring junior staff on all aspects of design, including but not limited to understanding theory and practical implementation of real projects, and the proper use of AutoCAD.
If you are a highly motivated individual, this is an opportunity to grow professionally and go as far as your ambition, dedication, and work ethic will take you.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Prepare, as well as oversee development of, construction drawings and specifications for stormwater facilities and green infrastructure; stormwater retrofit designs; and drainage infrastructure projects.
- Conduct hydrologic and hydraulic analyses to investigate storm drainage issues, floodplain studies, stream restoration, dam safety analyses, and stormwater management designs.
- Prepare client deliverables such as reports (including figures and tables), technical memoranda, and computer models.
- Prepare engineering and construction cost estimates.
- Conduct background research on technical issues and contribute to reports and memorandums.
- Occasionally support field investigations of stormwater infrastructure.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, with course work in water resources (including hydrology and hydraulics)
- EIT (minimum) or Licensed Professional Engineer in the Commonwealth of Virginia (preferred)
- 3 to 8 years of professional experience in performing and managing stormwater management, BMP, drainage, or other civil engineering design projects, including construction plan set development
- Proficiency in AutoCAD
- Proficiency with hydrologic and hydraulic software (PondPack, HEC-RAS, HEC-HMS, etc.)
- Experience with mapping and data analysis using ArcGIS
- Experience in mentoring junior engineering staff is preferred
- Must have a valid driver’s license, ability to pass a DMV record check, and be insurable
- Must be dependable, responsible, and have good communications skills
- Must be authorized to work in the United States
GKY offers competitive salary and benefits, including a 401(k) retirement plan, medical, disability, vision, dental, and life insurance, performance bonuses, vacation, holidays, and tuition reimbursement.
Qualified applicants should e-mail their qualifications to GKY Careers noting the job opening number in the subject line.
GKY is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation.
Prior to a final offer of employment, the selected candidate will be required to submit to a background screening which may include, but is not limited to, employment verification, educational and other credential verification, driving record check, and a criminal background check. These screenings will be conducted by GKY’s background vendor of choice and will be conducted in compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local law.